Iamsoho.co.uk Interview

NEW: Daniel Lismore on…

Written by iamsoho.

daniel lismore

Published on January 08, 2011

If you thought that London nightlife was ever somewhat boring and repetitive, then it has at least one saviour. Though primarily working on his Shoreditch club night Shabba Dabba Da, Isabella Blow protégé DANIEL LISMORE is lifting the lid on the box of possibilities for partygoers all over.

…what makes his party experience unique...
There are actually more than a few ‘unique’ experiences you may find at one of my parties. I think you would notice the vast amount of creative dressers. Most spend hours on their outfits just to go out and party in them for one night, using it as an outlet to show their talent. Then you may find celebrities, fashion designers & musicians floating about, a crowd not often seen without crazy transvestites and naked people serving food from tabletops. I think I should stop there and let you find out for yourselves.

…his favourite place in London…
The Last Tuesday Society. 11 Mare Street London.

…the one item of clothing he’ll never throw out…
I was once given a woven gold belt from a tribe that no longer exists. That I would never get rid of.

fur and fur protesters…
I don’t just wear animal fur. I wear human bones and hair, which is legal if they are over a certain age. Mine are very old. I love animals and wouldn’t order one to be made into a coat, but as I have a vintage pop-up shop, furs come my way daily and I collect them. I sell everything for five pounds in the shop so that everyone has the opportunity to make London’s nightlife more colourful. I sometimes see homeless people in my area and give them a fur or two. Fur protesters are amazing, anyone who stands by their opinion is great, but to physically assault somebody on the street, especially on more than one occasion, is a contradiction. After all, we are all animals.

…the one piece of advice someone has given him that he’ll pass on for the rest of his life…
Adam Ant once told me “fuck critics”. I took it the wrong way and ended up in a sex scandal.

…Kenya…
Ever since I was a kid and saw pictures on the TV of children starving, I wanted to help. I decided I would go and live with the Maasi in Kenya and help, hands-on, for a charity. It changed my life. I am now so grateful for everything in my life. Afterwards, I often compared the club scene to my experiences in Kenya and realised there was more to life than bitching and backstabbing fashion folk. The experience made me a better person.

…the road ahead…
I am working very hard (a lot of Facebook whoring) on my new night monthly night Shabba Dabba Da. I want to move further into the art world. I am a walking piece of art and I have just got back in to painting and sculpture. I think I belong there. Who knows what’s next? A coffee table book? A collaboration with a fashion designer? A t-shirt range?

www.iamsoho.co.uk